Sunday, October 7, 2018

Wendy Whelan Talks About Retiring On Her Own Terms – Despite Career-Ending Injury

“The doctor didn’t know to what degree the hip injury was when I went into the surgery. And a one-and-a-half-hour, two-hour surgery ended up being a four-hour surgery. And after the surgery, I was – I couldn’t weight-bear for two months. I was on crutches for two months. And I was very often in a machine that kept my – the circulation going in my leg so that we could try to build new cartilage, grow new cartilage. So I did the best I could do to rehabilitate myself and got back slowly and still had troubles and tried to figure it out. Nine months later, I got back on stage and then performed a few more months. And then I retired from the New York City Ballet.”



Article source here:Arts Journal

No comments:

Post a Comment

Academy Decides Not To Bar Streaming Movies From Oscars

The board of governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences “left intact Rule Two, the one that established that a film” — in...